Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) is a public health and development consulting firm established by a team with extensive experience in international development and public health programming. We provide technical assistance for health system reforms towards access to cost-effective and quality health care across Nigeria and the continent of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Economist/Health Financing Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports to: Project Manager
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Expected Duration of Assignment: 18 months
The Nigerian health system is weak and unresponsive as a result of years of grappling with poor infrastructure, inadequate equipment and technology, inadequate number and mix of healthcare workers, poor capacity of health sector stakeholders, poor information management/sharing mechanisms and under investment by the government. Against this backdrop, the country struggles in the move towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC). As many countries continue to progress towards the achievement of UHC goals, sustainable mechanisms for financing healthcare, improvements in human resources for health management and budget processes for health as well as strengthening systems for health accounts have been identified as crucial.
The Global Fund’s Catalytic Health System Investment Programme for prioritised states in Nigeria including Kaduna, Imo and Oyo clearly identifies a number of key interventions to strengthen health systems in the focus states. These interventions include amongst others:
- Strengthen public financial management (PFM) capacity of the Ministries of Health in Kaduna, Imo and Oyo to develop, execute and advocate for realistic and evidence-based spending on health in line with international best practices;
- Conduct necessary actuarial analysis and roll-out/support state health insurance schemes;
- Assess Health Labour Market in the focus states; and,
- Carry out and update state health accounts.
- The Health Economist will assist in providing support in strengthening health system performance for financial protection and resource mobilization.
Summary of Key Functions
- Support in the development of program objectives and strategies for implementation of the project
- Lead and direct plans to calculate various costs related to health care in the respective states
- Provide support in strengthening health system performance including financial protection and resource mobilization
- Evaluate current and proposed strategies and interpret findings
- Pro-actively identify market access opportunities for the states through effective planning and development of financially sound business proposals
- Effectively allocate and deploy resources including people, activities, projects and investment
- Contribute to strategic discussions/market access planning processes to enhance the effectiveness of implementation of strategies
- Communicate economic assessment results to relevant stakeholders
- Develop and execute health economic policies for the states and methods to reduce cost
- Perform economic analysis and develop model plans for health-care programs in the states
- Communicate and distribute academic literature, presentations and reports on research findings to update team and stakeholders about new issues, solutions and other topics relating to health economics, especially as it may relate to the project.
- Support the management of budgets and cost estimates according to plans
- Actively support the teams by participating in supervision missions, providing analytical support and spending time in the field to understand the real challenges facing implementers and beneficiaries
- Carry out other tasks as the Project Manager may assign
Min Required Experience:
Educational Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced degree in Health Economics or related discipline
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and result for the client and respond positively to feedback
- Knowledge of the Nigerian health sector and health financing landscape
- Knowledge/work experience in the preferred state or its environs would be an added advantage
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective stakeholder engagement/management skills
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Excellent leadership and influence skills; lead and work in teams effectively and show mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Packages.
Application Closing Date
7th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter (no more than a page) and updated CV in one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org Using the “Job Title” as the subject of the mail.
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here
Have difficulty applying via above button? You can send applications to email@example.com