ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org).
ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position below, to join our African and CBC teams of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
Job Title: Professional Officer – Urban Nature
Job Location: Cape Town
The successful candidate must have a strong scientific/technical background in conservation/natural resource ecology at the landscape and systems level, and a keen interest in urban development, and working at the city and city-region level.
Proven experience in the following areas is required
- Development, implementation and mainstreaming of biodiversity and nature-based solutions into urban sustainability and development policy, strategy and action plans, and land use and spatial planning at subnational (city and regional) government level, with specialised skills and experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Nature-based solutions
- Ecosystems assessment
- Landscape and systems level conservation
- Green/blue (ecological) infrastructure
- Ecosystem-based adaptation
- Urban nature systems, including food systems
- Integrated coastal management
- Urban transitions and sustainable development
- Conservation ecology in urban contexts
- Candidates should demonstrate a keen interest for, and proven experience in, business development and in building strategic partnerships; be delivery and results-orientated; as well as have a strong city/local government orientation and focus.
- Relevant Master’s or PhD degree or equivalent qualification; a post-graduate qualification specifically in conservation ecology or associated field will be an added advantage;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience preferably within, or closely with, a local or other subnational government in Africa in one or more of the fields listed above; international experience will be an added advantage;
- Ability to produce technical reports, popular articles, promotional and social media material, and to promote, enhance and expand the projects and partnerships he/she is involved in – a record of peer reviewed publications will be an added advantage; and
- Innovative individual with a ‘çan do’ attitude who can think on his/her feet and harness well-established networks to further build ICLEI’s good reputation and networks across sub-Saharan Africa and internationally.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams in a highly dynamic and creative environment, often engaging directly with high level political leadership, academic and technical experts, the United Nations and other international organisations and the private sector on behalf of ICLEI;
- Ability to be flexible about work responsibilities and thrive under pressure;
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style;
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills;
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience;
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit;
- Must have a passion for, and willingness to, travel extensively, locally and internationally;
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context; and
- Proficiency in another global language, especially French or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage.
Please forward a comprehensive CV and covering (motivating) letter, including a certified copy of your ID, available starting date and three references to Mellissa Moses ([email protected]).
Application Deadline: Monday, 10 June, 2019