Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Officer
Location: Duste, Jigawa
Role Purpose and Description
- The post holder leads the development and implementation of the programme MEAL and research framework that will generate evidence, maintain accountability standards and ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and learning of the health theme
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the quality of monitoring, evaluation and research for the project system is in place to generate evidences on the learning and impacts of the programme
- S/he develops and promotes widespread application of appropriate technologies and evidence-based program standards and guidance that reflect Save the Children and global best practice
- S/he leads and provide oversight supports to the programme internal and external assessments, reviews and surveys.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Formulate key program questions that will help to advance the evidence base, and support the design of targeted evaluations (including but not restricted to baseline, midline and end line evaluations) and pieces of operations research.
- Actively contribute to the process of learning, evaluation, capturing and disseminating lessons from the programme for continuous improvement of programme performance and overall outcome.
- Provide high quality MEAL technical leadership, support and capacity building to implementation teams.
- In collaboration with the programme team, develop a MEAL plan, as well as an ongoing research programme to support an evidence and learning agenda and a process for knowledge sharing between SCI, stakeholders and partners
- Support project, state, national/global reporting processes thereby contributing to high quality project reporting, leading in data quality assurance and compliance with reporting requirements.
- Develop, review, catalogue and ensure utilisation of standardised programme assessment and monitoring tools, manuals, guidelines, trainings and protocols.
- Ensure and increase utilisation of accountability approaches, such as participation, complaints and response mechanisms.
- Ensure the integration of programme information management with the National Management Information System (MIS).
- Keep abreast of MEAL sector trends and developments, for example in remote monitoring, and adapt and promote introduction of new methodologies, technologies, innovations and best practices.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for stakeholders’ and partners staff.
- Positively influence and capacity build project staff and partners at various levels.
Representation, Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent the programme on all HMIS and research technical working groups, partners and stakeholders’ forums.
- In collaboration with the SC Health colleagues, feed into learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives.
- In collaboration with SCI staff, contribute with analysis towards organizational learning around technical areas as well as processes and outputs.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Achieving results effectively:
- Ensures beneficiary and partner feedback is incorporated into programme design, planning and learning
- Makes changes to improve performance as a result of information received
- Documents lessons learned and applies them to future projects
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
- Fosters collaborative, transparent and accountable relationships through partners
- Uses negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support positive outcomes
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Builds own awareness of the bigger global picture by using a broad range of sources to gather data
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses
- Openly talks about doing things differently, pushing the boundaries and ways of working
- Gives constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to another for the purpose of his/her development
Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with participative and inclusive accountability approaches
- Highly developed influencing, communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches and children’s participation.
- Five years’ experience in the development sector, with preference for candidates with experience working on health and/or nutrition technical area(s)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation strategies, with in depth knowledge in the design, operationalization and use of monitoring and evaluation techniques and approaches.
- Experience in research and monitoring and evaluation methodology and analysis (qualitative, quantitative, participatory)
- Experience in leading teams and building M&E team capacity (developing training tools, training, coaching and mentoring)
- Significant understanding of MIS and data/information management
- Familiarity with knowledge management systems and approaches that foster a learning culture.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th July, 2019.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!
Share this opportunity with others