The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate (M&E/COMET)
Ref ID: 106889
Contract type: Full Time
Position grade: G6
Contract duration: 12 months
- These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area/Field Offices (AOs/FOs). Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office.
- At this level, job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
- To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
Under the general guidance of the head of M&E and the direct supervision of the National M&E Officer, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the implementation and strengthening of WFP Nigeria’s M&E system for all activities under the Country Strategic Plan and in line with the Corporate Results Framework;
- Provide overall guidance and technical support to all COMET users in Nigeria, including travel when necessary;
- Perform regular quality control checks on all uploaded data within implementation module;
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of operational queries and problems within COMET;
- Develop and maintain dashboards for reporting distribution achievements, COMET data entry status, and COMET-LESS reconciliation status;
- Serve as secretariat and coordinator for the COMET-LESS reconciliation committee;
- Manage data entry for COMET design module elements under the country office responsibility;
- Coordinate and support facilitation of COMET trainings, workshops, and one-on-one learning;
- Participate in the updating and mainstreaming of the standard operating procedures for planning and reporting through COMET, based on collaborative feedback from COMET users, as required;
- Support and provide back-up to the M&E/COMET focal points in area and sub-office;
- Support the provision of M&E inputs to proposals and reports as relates to output figures;
- Support the National M&E Officer in managing remote monitoring efforts;
- Perform any other duties, as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level:
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance:
- Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers):
- Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas:
- Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government:
- Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
- Weekly status reports on COMET reconciliation and data entry;
- Monthly dashboard for planning and reporting in COMET;
- Monthly note for the record from reconciliation committee meetings;
Min Required Experience:
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school; post-secondary certificate in related functional area;
- Professional experience: Three years post-secondary experience in development/food assistance;
- Technical skills: Training and/or experience utilizing computer software, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases; proficiency in Tableau will be an added advantage;
- Language: Excellent spoken and written English; ability to communicate in one local language;
- General: Knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
- Experience with WFP systems and standards;
- Analytical capacity, attention to detail, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact;
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations with persons of different backgrounds;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit International Civil Service Commision website: http://icsc.un.org (link:http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/nigeria.htm).
Application Closing Date
5th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately. View how to detect fake recruiters/companies Here